A look at which stoves and furnaces emit the most particles damaging to your health, plus which states burn the most wood.
Federal and state investigations have found lax safety practices at oil refineries going back a decade.
A court settlement will make it harder for companies to hide chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing.
When a worker died on the job, the company paid a $6,700 penalty, inciting new discussion on the issue.
Portland’s fluoridation battle shows how tricky it is to integrate science into debates that have as much to do with values as policy.
Oil refineries pose serious health hazards for nearby residents as well as workers, as the recent explosion in Richmond and other incidents, like one in Sinclair, Wyo., have made clear.
Ambitious schemes to build railroads and ports to ship Powder River Basin coal abroad will bring pollution and traffic to communities along the transport path, who are rising up in protest.
- Meg Scherch-Peterson on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans