The disappearance of mining has hit many towns hard. But Raton, New Mexico is getting back on its feet.
Agency contractors were excavating debris at the old mining site when the river flooded with wastewater.
The group of business-owners seeks help from Washington to prevent mining north of the national park.
Lead poisoning in children is underreported nationwide, and the West’s lack of data is particularly glaring.
A more secure safety net for workers in transition means higher taxes, a tradeoff many Americans oppose.
Q&A with photographer David T. Hanson about his new book, ‘Wilderness to Wasteland,’ which shows a dystopian side of progress.
- Millie Carson on Trump’s Cabinet choices reflect deep Koch influence
- Dale Lockwood on Colorado’s controversial plan to kill predators
- Regina Johnson on Go ahead, wander your way
- Paulette Bierzychudek on Obama’s mixed impact on endangered species
- Charles Fox on Colorado’s controversial plan to kill predators