Demand for housing, recreation and energy development means military bases could lose essential buffer land.
Peter Shelton spends a day skiing and reminiscing with the veterans of the Army’s 10th Mountain Division.
Paul Krza says Socorro, N.M., is being stressed to its limits by the constant booms and bangs of nearby bomb-testing.
Ranchers in southeastern Colorado are fighting the Army, which wants to expand its Pinon Canyon Maneuver Site.
The writer thinks of reconciliation as he describes commemorative activities to come in northern New Mexico and a visit he made a year ago to Vietnam
"Divine Strake" — a proposed weapons detonation at the Nevada Test Site – has stirred up fears of radioactive contamination and the possibility of a new nuclear arms race
A long solitary hike through an empty, pristine desert is interrupted by a close encounter with an F-16 fighter plane
Cannon Air Force Base in New Mexico and Ellsworth Air Force Base in South Dakota narrowly escape being shut down by the federal Base Realignment and Closure Commission
The Air Force wants to close Cannon Air Force Base, but the nearby town of Clovis, N.M., is not ready to let go of its main economic engine
- Harold Johnson on Right-wing militant charged for planting a bomb at BLM building
- James Osborn on Go ahead, control my guns
- Frances Hohl on How Outward Bound lost, and found, itself
- Dale Lockwood on Right-wing militant charged for planting a bomb at BLM building
- Karl Anderson on Evicted by climate change