Energy & Industry
Columbia Energy Partners plans to build four 104-MW wind farms with 40 to 60 turbines each on Steens Mountain. East and West Ridge will be on private land inside the protected area boundaries, Echanis on private land just outside the protected area and Riddle Mountain on state land.
Suddenly, everyone is eyeing the West's rare-earth deposits, but mining and processing the metals will not be easy.
- Dale Lockwood on Why has the National Park Service gotten whiter?
- Dale Lockwood on Biking bill is a smokescreen for opening up wilderness
- Todd McMahon on Biking bill is a smokescreen for opening up wilderness
- The Taylors on Photos: A look at the West’s weirdest sports
- Doug Johnson on The West’s ‘new normal’: Another long season of volatile wildfires