Energy & Industry
Columbia Energy Partners plans to build four 104-MW wind farms with 40 to 60 turbines each on Steens Mountain. East and West Ridge will be on private land inside the protected area boundaries, Echanis on private land just outside the protected area and Riddle Mountain on state land.
Suddenly, everyone is eyeing the West's rare-earth deposits, but mining and processing the metals will not be easy.
Forward-thinking towns and cities are lighting their streets with LEDs -- light-emitting diodes -- that save both energy and money.
Mule deer on Wyoming's Pinedale Anticline are struggling, and the BLM's adaptive management plan has done nothing to help.
Rural Lake County, Ore., has gone from a timber economy to one based on producing - and exporting - renewable energy.
- Geoffrey Smith on On the road with a transient immigrant rights lawyer
- Scott Cyrus on Searching for solutions in the changing rural West
- Geoffrey Smith on Are we smarter than the hummingbirds?
- Mark Rozman on On the road with a transient immigrant rights lawyer
- Charles Allen on On the road with a transient immigrant rights lawyer