Energy & Industry
The biofuels "corn bubble" and other financial incentives encourage farmers to plow up native grassland in the sensitive Northern Plains prairie potholes ecosystem; government policies don't help.
Farmers in Nebraska are feeling the pressure from groups that demand better treatment for animals on factory farms.
Master leasing plans, or MLPs, are a new tool designed to help the Bureau of Land Management better coordinate energy leasing and development in areas that may need special treatment or protection.
Four families cooperate on conservation easements in order to save a huge ranch in Colorado from development.
Despite recent headlines, the "drill baby drill" method isn't getting us close to breaking our dependence on foreign oil
In all the fuss about fracking, the many other problems caused by rampant oil and gas development are being overlooked.
Utah considers building a nuclear power plant despite the fact that it's still cleaning up the mess left over from the last uranium boom.
In his State of the Union speech, President Obama tried to please everyone, but even his renewable energy proposals rely on finding more natural gas than may exist.
Although the West supplies most of the nation’s coal, the effects of coal-fired plant emissions are felt much further afield.
At a House hearing, state officials and industry representatives face off against agency and health scientists
- After attack, the country’s oldest park ranger is back at work
- Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence
- Emotions run high over monument designation in Utah
- BLM moves away from landmark Northwest Forest Plan
- How Utah coal interests helped push a secret plan to export coal from California
- Doug Johnson on In this season of potential megaburns, nix the campfire
- The Taylors on Latest: The BLM to study surgical sterilization of wild horses
- Marcia Ewell on New measures could reduce Glen Canyon Dam’s impact on the Grand Canyon — a bit
- Charles Fox on Federal coal leasing needs a major overhaul
- Carl Reese on Study finds surprising source of Colorado River water supply