Energy & Industry
Columbia Energy Partners plans to build four 104-MW wind farms with 40 to 60 turbines each on Steens Mountain. East and West Ridge will be on private land inside the protected area boundaries, Echanis on private land just outside the protected area and Riddle Mountain on state land.
Suddenly, everyone is eyeing the West's rare-earth deposits, but mining and processing the metals will not be easy.
Forward-thinking towns and cities are lighting their streets with LEDs -- light-emitting diodes -- that save both energy and money.
Mule deer on Wyoming's Pinedale Anticline are struggling, and the BLM's adaptive management plan has done nothing to help.
Rural Lake County, Ore., has gone from a timber economy to one based on producing - and exporting - renewable energy.
- Kate Robinson on Stop the rock-stacking
- Dave Cichan on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Keith Barefoot on Illegal flights persist despite national park drone ban
- Greg Graves on Illegal flights persist despite national park drone ban
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution