Energy & Industry
Suddenly, everyone is eyeing the West's rare-earth deposits, but mining and processing the metals will not be easy.
Forward-thinking towns and cities are lighting their streets with LEDs -- light-emitting diodes -- that save both energy and money.
Mule deer on Wyoming's Pinedale Anticline are struggling, and the BLM's adaptive management plan has done nothing to help.
Rural Lake County, Ore., has gone from a timber economy to one based on producing - and exporting - renewable energy.
A tar sands development proposed for Utah is insane on every level: economically, environmentally and just practically.
- Ricardo Small on In Arizona, the people move ahead of the politicians
- Dean Nyffeler on New data released on violent threats to federal employees
- John Crosse on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- John Worlock on The U.S.’s only rare-earth mine files for bankruptcy
- Andy Grosland on The pain thief of Spokane