Energy & Industry
Columbia Energy Partners plans to build four 104-MW wind farms with 40 to 60 turbines each on Steens Mountain. East and West Ridge will be on private land inside the protected area boundaries, Echanis on private land just outside the protected area and Riddle Mountain on state land.
Suddenly, everyone is eyeing the West's rare-earth deposits, but mining and processing the metals will not be easy.
Forward-thinking towns and cities are lighting their streets with LEDs -- light-emitting diodes -- that save both energy and money.
Mule deer on Wyoming's Pinedale Anticline are struggling, and the BLM's adaptive management plan has done nothing to help.
Rural Lake County, Ore., has gone from a timber economy to one based on producing - and exporting - renewable energy.
- The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Latest: California fracking companies inject protected aquifers with wastewater
- Obama's preemptive strike to reform Endangered Species Act
- Wyoming trespass law is the latest in grazing battle
- Sightseeing at an open pit mine in Arizona copper country
- Garrett Allen on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Robb Cadwell on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Amy & Chris Gulick on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Richard H Ernst on The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Luwella Leonardi on Blood Quantum