Energy & Industry
A new Colorado air quality law pits coal against natural gas -- and rural environmentalists against urban ones.
A family hike along the Pacific Coast Trail becomes an exhilarating encounter with the fierce storm gods of Washington's wild Olympic Peninsula.
Colorado's economic slump forced Gov. Ritter to increase his support for natural gas, and Nevada voters may force hardrock mining to pay more in state taxes.
Hardrock mining's outsized political power in Nevada may finally be eroding, thanks to state budget woes.
- Meg Scherch-Peterson on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans