Los Angeles needs green power, but some environmentalists are up in arms over plans to build transmission lines across the Mojave Desert.
The essays in Gary Paul Nabhan’s Arab/American celebrate the landscape, culture and cuisine of two great deserts: The Middle Eastern lands from which his ancestors came and the Sonoran Desert he now lives in.
Botanist Sue Rutman has had surprising success just yanking up buffelgrass, but herbicides remain the first line of defense
In Arizona’s Sonoran Desert, good intentions are responsible for the introduction of exotic buffelgrass – but all the good intentions in the world may not be enough to save the desert now that this invasive and fire-prone plant is spreading
It’s not easy to wean Westerners away from their lush, traditional, turfgrass lawns, but with drought an increasing fact of life, Xeriscape gardening is finally catching on
The cactus ferruginous pygmy owl has been removed from the endangered species list, but Tucson area leaders say they plan to continue the desert conservation efforts put in place to help the very rare bird
In Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands, Tucson author Brad Lancaster gives a hands-on inspirational guide for how to harvest the desert Southwest’s rare moisture
- Guy Durrant on Giving thanks and looking forward
- Sarah Gilman on Closure of federal sheep facility would be a victory for grizzlies
- Gretchen King on Sage grouse found walking through Wyoming underpass
- Robb Cadwell on We can do our part to defuse the West
- Robb Cadwell on Wyoming grapples with how to fund wildlife conservation