The Desert Renewable Energy Conservation Plan is intended to guide energy development, while protecting wildlife and recreation.
Scientists are closer than ever to understanding how microscopic airborne particles shape the Earth, and the West.
Writer Annie Proulx takes an unsentimental view of Wyoming’s little-known and somewhat scarred Red Desert.
Los Angeles needs green power, but some environmentalists are up in arms over plans to build transmission lines across the Mojave Desert.
The essays in Gary Paul Nabhan’s Arab/American celebrate the landscape, culture and cuisine of two great deserts: The Middle Eastern lands from which his ancestors came and the Sonoran Desert he now lives in.
Botanist Sue Rutman has had surprising success just yanking up buffelgrass, but herbicides remain the first line of defense
- Bradley Goodman on How can "woofers" stay on the farm?
- Rod Farlee on Study finds surprising source of Colorado River water supply
- Joe Cosentino on New measures could reduce Glen Canyon Dam’s impact on the Grand Canyon — a bit
- Mark Bailey on Sometimes, the West must be protected from itself
- Spencer Kluesner on Latest: The BLM to study surgical sterilization of wild horses