2007 Press Releases
Ray Ring, Northern Rockies editor for High Country News, has won one of the most coveted journalism awards in the business — the George Polk Award. Today, the Long Island University announced that Ring is being honored for his political reporting in the July 24, 2006 High Country News cover story entitled, Taking Liberties.
High Country News, the 38-year-old news magazine known for it’s fervent and in-depth coverage of the American West, is among the best in the independent news business, says the editors of Utne magazine. In the 18th Annual Utne Independent Press Awards, editors called High Country News “a go-to source for coverage of the West’s public lands” and awarded the news magazine the top honor in the Local/Regional Coverage category.
- Barbara Cella on Meet the aspiring ranger locked out by National Park Service practices
- Randy Welch on Biking bill is a smokescreen for opening up wilderness
- Todd McWelch on Biking bill is a smokescreen for opening up wilderness
- Tom Darnell on In Northern New Mexico, a piñon-nut culture is vanishing
- Tom Darnell on Why has the National Park Service gotten whiter?