In response to your article about benefits from releasing water from Glen Canyon Dam (HCN, 7/22/96), I called the Bureau of Reclamation in late April, and their best projection was that 104,000,000 kwh of hydro generation would be lost due to the release.
It takes more than 60,000 tons of coal to generate that much electricity in the average conventional power plant. So, the environmental downside of releases that bypass the turbines is more air pollution and an increase in justification for constructing additional power plants.
- Richard Crow on Freeway closure by flash flood should teach us a lesson
- Sarah Tory on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Greg Graves on Can human judgment handle avalanches?
- John W Stephens on Ranch Diaries: How to coexist with wild animals
- Ryan Stevenson on Can human judgment handle avalanches?