The move is the latest effort by the nuclear industry to get rid of spent reactor fuel stored at nuclear power plants around the country. While the Department of Energy is considering Yucca Mountain as a possible site for a permanent repository, suitability studies have raised safety concerns.
Dump opponents think they have an ace in the hole: Bob Loux, of Nevada's Agency for Nuclear Projects, says Speaker Newt Gingrich could decide not to introduce the bill in the House since President Clinton has promised a veto.
* Greg Hanscom
- Peter Nelson on Two political elites prevail in Navajo primary melee
- Deb Dedon on New Mexico delays controversial Gila vote
- Deb Dedon on Considering historical correctness in New Mexico
- Deb Dedon on Two political elites prevail in Navajo primary melee
- Chuck Brushwood on Did Obama's Interior hobble the Endangered Species Act?