The move is the latest effort by the nuclear industry to get rid of spent reactor fuel stored at nuclear power plants around the country. While the Department of Energy is considering Yucca Mountain as a possible site for a permanent repository, suitability studies have raised safety concerns.
Dump opponents think they have an ace in the hole: Bob Loux, of Nevada's Agency for Nuclear Projects, says Speaker Newt Gingrich could decide not to introduce the bill in the House since President Clinton has promised a veto.
* Greg Hanscom
- Robert Jordan on Livestream from the Oregon occupation
- DOUG HASH on The rise of the Sagebrush Sheriffs
- Candace Oathout on No, federal land transfers are not in the Constitution
- Mike Senchyna on Should this national monument become a national park?
- Tom Darnell on Four charts that show how public land is good for rural areas