The move is the latest effort by the nuclear industry to get rid of spent reactor fuel stored at nuclear power plants around the country. While the Department of Energy is considering Yucca Mountain as a possible site for a permanent repository, suitability studies have raised safety concerns.
Dump opponents think they have an ace in the hole: Bob Loux, of Nevada's Agency for Nuclear Projects, says Speaker Newt Gingrich could decide not to introduce the bill in the House since President Clinton has promised a veto.
* Greg Hanscom
- Jim Scarborough on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- on Feds opt not to list Mono Basin sage grouse
- Chase Gunnell on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- Arnold Weissberg on Ranch Diaries: Building community in the middle of nowhere
- Steve Snyder on Only 40 years ago, the Earth got its day