The move is the latest effort by the nuclear industry to get rid of spent reactor fuel stored at nuclear power plants around the country. While the Department of Energy is considering Yucca Mountain as a possible site for a permanent repository, suitability studies have raised safety concerns.
Dump opponents think they have an ace in the hole: Bob Loux, of Nevada's Agency for Nuclear Projects, says Speaker Newt Gingrich could decide not to introduce the bill in the House since President Clinton has promised a veto.
* Greg Hanscom
- Millie Carson on Trump’s Cabinet choices reflect deep Koch influence
- Dale Lockwood on Colorado’s controversial plan to kill predators
- Regina Johnson on Go ahead, wander your way
- Paulette Bierzychudek on Obama’s mixed impact on endangered species
- Charles Fox on Colorado’s controversial plan to kill predators