The move is the latest effort by the nuclear industry to get rid of spent reactor fuel stored at nuclear power plants around the country. While the Department of Energy is considering Yucca Mountain as a possible site for a permanent repository, suitability studies have raised safety concerns.
Dump opponents think they have an ace in the hole: Bob Loux, of Nevada's Agency for Nuclear Projects, says Speaker Newt Gingrich could decide not to introduce the bill in the House since President Clinton has promised a veto.
* Greg Hanscom
- Harvey H Reading on How do Trump and Clinton differ on conservation?
- Brett Moorhouse on How do Trump and Clinton differ on conservation?
- Laura Pandapas on The Park Service doesn’t need corporate sponsorship. It needs proper funding.
- Colleen Cabot on Meet the group that’s turning artists into nature’s advocates
- Jim Bolen on Land transfer battles rage on, county by county