October 4, 1993
Gold miner John Livermore and Sierra Club mining expert Glenn Miller join forces to find a solution to Nevada's mining troubles.
The "Gallatin Range Consolidation Act of 1993" land swap appeases loggers, pleases environmentalists and protects elk, grizzly and Yellowstone cutthroat trout.
Proposed expansion at Jackson's stimulates discussion of FAA regulations for flying over national parks.
The Park Service severs ties with the Custer Battlefield Historical and Museum Association after a confrontation over the name of the park, and the group's refusal to sell Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee.
Larry Rockefeller says the Jackson Hole airport is doomed because of a "reverter clause' in his family's agreement with the park.
The Forest Service struggles over approval of an Aspen Skiing Co. expansion plan to develop Burnt Mountain, near the Maroon Bells Wilderness.
The Wyoming Board of Land Commissioners hikes grazing fees despite criticicsm from Sen. Malcolm Wallop.
Colorado sues the owners of a Mid-Continent resources for failing to reclaim coal mine near Redstone, Colo.
A range reform discussion sponsored by The League of Women Voters of Utah will feature Ed Marston, Jim Baca, Wayne Elmore, and Rose Strickland, chair of the Sierra Club's grazing subcommittee.
Conference sponsored by Prescott College's Common Ground Project seeks to join business and environmental interests.
The environmental air-force, Lighthawk, is available to fly journalists, activists and politicians over mines to rally support for reform of the 1872 Mining Law.
People for the West! stages a protest a BLM decision to allow a massive copper mining project in the historic Robinson mining district is appealed
Miner John Livermore and Sierra Club mining expert Glenn Miller draft a compromise bill for mining reform.
- Who’s cutting illegal ski trails in the Santa Fe National Forest?
- Mapping the large-scale loss of natural areas in the West
- Grand Canyon superintendent retires after harassment investigation
- Will the feds change course on Columbia River management?
- As delisting looms, grizzly advocates prepare for a final face-off
- Steve Snyder on Searching for solutions in the changing rural West
- Marcia Ewell on Revamped chemical safety law gives EPA more power
- Larry Glickfeld on How the livestock industry can help cut greenhouse gas emissions
- Mark Rozman on As delisting looms, grizzly advocates prepare for a final face-off
- Steve Snyder on How the livestock industry can help cut greenhouse gas emissions