A short correction to the article by Tony Davis in the Feb. 21 edition, Western Roundup section: In the first article on Jim Baca, the last paragraph mentions acting BLM director Mike Dombeck. Mike is not a career BLM employee ... in fact, as recently as 1990, Mike was a staff fish biologist with the Forest Service in Washington, D.C. But the Bureau of Land Management was glad to get him!
Mike served as a special science advisor to the BLM director, and became known among BLM biologists as an insightful scientist, and a very quick study in political processes. He is a real "people person" with genuine concern for natural resources. I think Mike's tenure as acting director, however long it lasts, will be beneficial for the agency.
The writer is a wildlife biologist.
- Andrew Sipocz on The great salmon compromise
- Kyle Klain on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mary Sojourner on Rants from the Hill: Desert Insomnia
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on Why are Hopi rangers impounding sheep at Black Mesa?