March 4, 1996
The Arizona Mineral and Fossil Show in Tucson highlights the growing controversy over who has the right to valuable fossils found on public lands.
After 17 years, the Utah Wilderness Association closes its doors because of staff departures and financial troubles.
Plans for salvage logging on New Mexico's Eagle Peak lead environmentalists to charge that the forest fire there was no accident.
Oakley, Utah adopts a development code with a "right to farm provision" in an attempt to preserve its rural way of life.
Members of the countercultural Rainbow Family say the Forest Service's new permit requirement threatens their annual gatherings.
The Confederated Salish and Kootenai tribes refuse to let the Yellowstone Pipe Line Co. run a petroleum pipeline across the Flathead Reservation in Montana.
The Gila National Forest's decision authorizing 15 stock tanks on New Mexico's Diamond Bar allotment in a wilderness area is overturned by Forest Service Chief Jack Ward Thomas.
John Talbott, director of the Wyoming Game and Fish Department, is caught fishing without a license - and then caught forging a license.
Utah's Tooele County revokes its approval of a plan to incinerate chemical weapons at the Tooele Army Depot.
Fearing potential contamination, Nevada's Washoe County sues to stop explosions of outdated munitions at nearby Sierra Army Depot in California.
Tom Huerkamp and Bob Morris plan to sue the State of Colorado for illegally building a prison in a state wildlife area.
Environmentalists say manmade causes such as logging and road-building contributed to flooding and landslides in the Northwest during a wet winter.
- Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence
- BLM moves away from landmark Northwest Forest Plan
- How Utah coal interests helped push a secret plan to export coal from California
- Emotions run high over monument designation in Utah
- Let’s be clear: TSA’s new tactics are bribery
- Kent Matowitz on Let’s be clear: TSA’s new tactics are bribery
- Blair French on How Shelton Johnson became the Buffalo Soldiers’ champion
- Ruby Ram on Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence
- Mark Rozman on We should be proud of delisting grizzlies
- Steve Snyder on What can we still learn from Edward Abbey, 25 years after his death?