"We want them to fix the problem, so those roads aren't just time bombs waiting to go off again," Idaho Fish and Game official Steve Agte told the Moscow-Pullman Daily News. Forest Service officials, however, have requested millions of dollars from the Federal Highway Administration to repair the logging roads, even though the roads themselves, along with clearcuts, appear to have contributed to the severity of the landslides (HCN, 1/22/96). In contrast, Idaho Fish and Game staffers suggest re-contouring the landscape around the roads and restoring native vegetation to protect watersheds and wildlife habitat.
* Jenny Emery
- Steve Snyder on Climate change looms large over Obama’s Yosemite visit
- Gus Dizerega on Right-wing militant charged for planting a bomb at BLM building
- Dale Lockwood on Right-wing militant charged for planting a bomb at BLM building
- Bob Wyman on Go ahead, control my guns
- Deanna Wulff on Climate change looms large over Obama’s Yosemite visit