January 22, 1996
Conservationists, politicians, Indians and farmers fight over the polluted but beautiful land of Washington's Hanford Nuclear Reservation.
The Northwest Ecosystem Alliance is the highest bidder for Washington's Thunder Mountain salvage sale, but once the group refuses to log the trees, the Forest Service may not go through with the sale.
During the 21-day federal furlough, some wealthy areas and industries such as skiing and logging keep going, while the West's poorest counties and its Indian reservations scramble to survive.
Disgruntled residents of Yellowstone's gateway communities blame Babbitt and the "War on the West" for the federal budget crisis that shut down the national park they make their living from.
Oregon Democrat Ron Wyden and Republican Gordon Smith battle acrimoniously for Bob Packwood's vacant senate seat.
Winter rains flood Washington's Skokomish River valley and environmentalists say the problem is exacerbated by logging, urban sprawl, dams and other human impacts.
Trout Unlimited produces a poster illustrating both good and bad news about endangered fish in North America.
Mark Trahant's booklet, "Pictures of Our Nobler Selves," gives history of Native American journalism.
Forest Service and Southwest Center for Biological Diversity produce dueling studies on Southwest forest health.
A report from the National Conference of State Legislators, "States and Tribes: Building New Traditions," says state and tribal governments need to cooperate.
Economist Tom Powers' report, "Economic Well-being and Environmental Protection in the Pacific Northwest," says the region is thriving despite dire predictions.
During its 40 years of weapons-building, Hanford knowingly exposed workers and area residents to dangerous levels of radiation, and the health impacts continue to be felt today.
- Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence
- BLM moves away from landmark Northwest Forest Plan
- How Utah coal interests helped push a secret plan to export coal from California
- Emotions run high over monument designation in Utah
- Let’s be clear: TSA’s new tactics are bribery
- Kent Matowitz on Let’s be clear: TSA’s new tactics are bribery
- Blair French on How Shelton Johnson became the Buffalo Soldiers’ champion
- Ruby Ram on Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence
- Mark Rozman on We should be proud of delisting grizzlies
- Steve Snyder on What can we still learn from Edward Abbey, 25 years after his death?