* Joy Harjo
Joy Harjo, a Creek poet, screenwriter, and saxophonist, is one of 13 Southwestern authors featured in Writing the Southwest, a radio documentary series airing on public radio stations this fall and winter. Born out of the Writer's Co-op in Santa Fe, N.M., the shows spotlight Edward Abbey, Tony Hillerman, and Barbara Kingsolver, among others. A companion book, Writing the Southwest, made up of excerpts, biographies and interviews with each author, will be available soon. For more information, contact David Dunaway, Writing the Southwest, Department of English, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131-1106 (505/277-4438).
- David W Hamilton on What we’re reading about the Bundy trial in Oregon
- Clay Dusel on New measures could reduce Glen Canyon Dam’s impact on the Grand Canyon — a bit
- David W Hamilton on ‘These big dreams to have everyone prosper’
- Dale Lockwood on Trump met with a leader of the land transfer movement
- Jim Bolen on A tax on carbon pollution faces surprising opposition