* Joy Harjo
Joy Harjo, a Creek poet, screenwriter, and saxophonist, is one of 13 Southwestern authors featured in Writing the Southwest, a radio documentary series airing on public radio stations this fall and winter. Born out of the Writer's Co-op in Santa Fe, N.M., the shows spotlight Edward Abbey, Tony Hillerman, and Barbara Kingsolver, among others. A companion book, Writing the Southwest, made up of excerpts, biographies and interviews with each author, will be available soon. For more information, contact David Dunaway, Writing the Southwest, Department of English, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131-1106 (505/277-4438).
- Andrew Sipocz on The great salmon compromise
- Kyle Klain on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mary Sojourner on Rants from the Hill: Desert Insomnia
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on Why are Hopi rangers impounding sheep at Black Mesa?