* Joy Harjo
Joy Harjo, a Creek poet, screenwriter, and saxophonist, is one of 13 Southwestern authors featured in Writing the Southwest, a radio documentary series airing on public radio stations this fall and winter. Born out of the Writer's Co-op in Santa Fe, N.M., the shows spotlight Edward Abbey, Tony Hillerman, and Barbara Kingsolver, among others. A companion book, Writing the Southwest, made up of excerpts, biographies and interviews with each author, will be available soon. For more information, contact David Dunaway, Writing the Southwest, Department of English, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131-1106 (505/277-4438).
- Barbara Ullian on How to love a weird and perfect wilderness
- John Wahoff on It’s not the Wild West anymore. Look before you shoot.
- Tom Kinnane on Missing science, disagreement surrounds fracking report
- Gerald Burton on Back to civics class: 10 things to know about Standing Rock
- Steve Snyder on Missing science, disagreement surrounds fracking report