In April, the Bureau of Land Management tried to round up some 900 cattle illegally grazing public land in southeastern Nevada. But recalcitrant rancher Cliven Bundy and his armed supporters forced the agency to back down. Bundy claimed the federal government violated his property rights and overreached in attempting to manage his cattle. In fact, Bundy has refused to pay grazing fees for two decades, rejecting the entire concept of federal land. Here's a brief history of his relationship with the BLM.
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Lee Rimel on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town