A map of Switzerland produced by the Swiss Office of Cartography, which he sees as both exquisitely beautiful and remarkably expressive of the landscape.
On GPS technology
"Technology is really aiding navigation, but I think it's actually reducing our sense of place. You don't need to know anything about a place to navigate through it."
On hand-drawing maps
"I'm really glad I learned that way, but I'm not particularly nostalgic about the old ways; it was physically demanding, leaning over a drafting table for 10 hours a day."
One reason mapping takes so long
"There's one best place for every piece of type on the map relative to the others. You change one thing and everything else changes. It's an incredible orchestration that takes a long time to work out."
- Penelope Blair on Rains bring incomplete drought relief to parts of Southwest
- W. Fred Sanders on American Indian students in Utah face harsh discipline
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on American Indian students in Utah face harsh discipline
- Steve Snyder on Making a monument from scratch
- Deb Dedon on Rains bring incomplete drought relief to parts of Southwest