A map of Switzerland produced by the Swiss Office of Cartography, which he sees as both exquisitely beautiful and remarkably expressive of the landscape.
On GPS technology
"Technology is really aiding navigation, but I think it's actually reducing our sense of place. You don't need to know anything about a place to navigate through it."
On hand-drawing maps
"I'm really glad I learned that way, but I'm not particularly nostalgic about the old ways; it was physically demanding, leaning over a drafting table for 10 hours a day."
One reason mapping takes so long
"There's one best place for every piece of type on the map relative to the others. You change one thing and everything else changes. It's an incredible orchestration that takes a long time to work out."
- Wendy Beye on Another Yellowstone River oil spill
- Harvey H Reading on Wyoming grazing dispute threatens bighorn sheep
- irene gilbert on Critical mule deer research relies on fundraising
- Micaela Fischer on The Unusual Occupation at Utah’s Book Cliffs
- Larry Bullock on Wyoming grazing dispute threatens bighorn sheep