novelist, poet, professor
Painting, fly-fishing, training horses (and mules)
San Gabriel foothills, Southern California
On being prolific
"I'm very lucky; I can sit down and be working immediately. I don't do any throat-clearing or arranging my desk. I don't go online."
Why he spent a sabbatical in France
"I was hoping my two sons would pick up the language -- and then teach it to me." (It didn't work.)
- Barbara Ullian on How to love a weird and perfect wilderness
- John Wahoff on It’s not the Wild West anymore. Look before you shoot.
- Tom Kinnane on Missing science, disagreement surrounds fracking report
- Gerald Burton on Back to civics class: 10 things to know about Standing Rock
- Steve Snyder on Missing science, disagreement surrounds fracking report