The debate over the drilling technique known as hydraulic fracturing is heating up this fall, as several cities along Colorado’s Front Range prepare to vote on fracking bans or moratoriums. In a story in the current issue of High Country News, Josh Zaffos documents the groundswell of Front Range opposition to fracking, and he also describes how some of Colorado’s more rural communities actually want to loosen fracking rules. As Zaffos told KDNK’s Nelson Harvey in the latest edition of Sounds of the High Country, voters on both sides of the drilling debate are jockeying for more local control over gas exploration in Colorado.
- George Winters on What Mt. Hood’s fading summer ski season means
- John F Mijer on Congress lets sun set on Land and Water Conservation Fund
- Gary Beverly on Does optimism have a place in Western water politics?
- John Worlock on Endurance runners in the Grand Canyon are missing the point
- Todd Vogel/Iversen on Endurance runners in the Grand Canyon are missing the point