In March 2012, Black Diamond CEO Peter Metcalf wrote an op-ed in the Salt Lake Tribune criticizing Utah Governor Gary Herbert for supporting legislation that would transfer ownership of federal public lands to the state of Utah and potentially open up protected wild lands to motorized recreation and energy developers. Soon after, the governor wrote a terse letter to Metcalf, challenging him for his antagonism and accusing him of having a "mindless ideological agenda." Metcalf then responded with a letter of his own, in which he announced that he is quitting the governor's Ski and Snowboard Industry Working Group. Read the op-ed and the two letters here (click the magnifying glass at the bottom of each document to zoom in):Peter Metcalf's March op-ed in the Salt Lake Tribune
- Rick Masters on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- W John Faust on Freeway closure by flash flood should teach us a lesson
- David Taft on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- Ryan Stevenson on Can human judgment handle avalanches?