In 1989, four outdoor companies – REI, Patagonia, The North Face and Kelty – founded the Conservation Alliance to increase industry support for efforts to protect wildlands used by recreationists. Since then the alliance has grown to include more than 180 member companies and has disbursed more than $10 million in membership dues to conservation groups. In 2012, the Alliance plans to contribute $1.3 million to a variety of campaigns. This map shows a handful of the more than 50 grants awarded in 2011 and 2012. For a complete list, visit conservationalliance.com/grants.
- Brad Bardwell on A tax on carbon pollution faces surprising opposition
- David W Hamilton on The bid for Bears Ears
- David W Hamilton on Comb Ridge parcel sold to highest bidder
- David R Smith DVM on Ranch Diaries: Two years into Triangle P Cattle, we’re coming into our own
- Robert Atkins on The bid for Bears Ears