In 1989, four outdoor companies – REI, Patagonia, The North Face and Kelty – founded the Conservation Alliance to increase industry support for efforts to protect wildlands used by recreationists. Since then the alliance has grown to include more than 180 member companies and has disbursed more than $10 million in membership dues to conservation groups. In 2012, the Alliance plans to contribute $1.3 million to a variety of campaigns. This map shows a handful of the more than 50 grants awarded in 2011 and 2012. For a complete list, visit conservationalliance.com/grants.
- David DuBois on What will become of the backcountry in Utah’s Wasatch?
- Dennis Jones on Colorado, other Western states support Syrian refugee program
- Peter Sandrock on Reflecting on the tragedy of the young 'invincibles'
- Roy Frybarger on Colorado, other Western states support Syrian refugee program
- Julia Duin on Charles Bowden on The War Next Door