In 1989, four outdoor companies – REI, Patagonia, The North Face and Kelty – founded the Conservation Alliance to increase industry support for efforts to protect wildlands used by recreationists. Since then the alliance has grown to include more than 180 member companies and has disbursed more than $10 million in membership dues to conservation groups. In 2012, the Alliance plans to contribute $1.3 million to a variety of campaigns. This map shows a handful of the more than 50 grants awarded in 2011 and 2012. For a complete list, visit conservationalliance.com/grants.
- Jane Shafroth on Rants from the Hill: The aliens that make Nevada home
- Irene S on No direction home
- Richard Crow on Ranch Diaries: Why cowboy life is intense
- Richard Crow on Mass shootings in Western states, by the numbers
- Mary Mcallister on Wildland restoration is like marriage: An imperfect work in progress