In 1989, four outdoor companies – REI, Patagonia, The North Face and Kelty – founded the Conservation Alliance to increase industry support for efforts to protect wildlands used by recreationists. Since then the alliance has grown to include more than 180 member companies and has disbursed more than $10 million in membership dues to conservation groups. In 2012, the Alliance plans to contribute $1.3 million to a variety of campaigns. This map shows a handful of the more than 50 grants awarded in 2011 and 2012. For a complete list, visit conservationalliance.com/grants.
- Robin Switzer on Humans and ecosystems mix it up on the U.S. - Mexico Borderlands
- Mark York on Tribes win one fight, lose another in pipeline protest
- Greg Arnold on New allegations of sexual harassment in Yosemite, Yellowstone
- Sophia Bogner on Tribes win one fight, lose another in pipeline protest
- Carolyn Poissant on Top 10 reasons not to move to Bozeman