Name: Jeff Rice
University of Utah Research librarian and co-founder of the Western Soundscape Archive, a library of 3,000 animal recordings
Favorite Place to Record:
The Southwest, because the region's low humidity and air turbulence only minimally alter and mute sound waves.
One of His Favorite Sounds:
The high-pitched squeak of the northern grasshopper mouse.
GPS, parabolic dish, Sennheiser microphones, Sound Devices 50-gig recorder, portable recorder, lapel mikes, Sony recorder, bat detector, hydrophone (for fish), and lots of rechargeable AA batteries.
- Edward Ernest on Trekking across Colorado’s fragmented wildernesses
- Brad Bardwell on A tax on carbon pollution faces surprising opposition
- David W Hamilton on The bid for Bears Ears
- David W Hamilton on Comb Ridge parcel sold to highest bidder
- David R Smith DVM on Ranch Diaries: Two years into Triangle P Cattle, we’re coming into our own