Name: Jeff Rice
University of Utah Research librarian and co-founder of the Western Soundscape Archive, a library of 3,000 animal recordings
Favorite Place to Record:
The Southwest, because the region's low humidity and air turbulence only minimally alter and mute sound waves.
One of His Favorite Sounds:
The high-pitched squeak of the northern grasshopper mouse.
GPS, parabolic dish, Sennheiser microphones, Sound Devices 50-gig recorder, portable recorder, lapel mikes, Sony recorder, bat detector, hydrophone (for fish), and lots of rechargeable AA batteries.
- Robert Hunt on Are we smarter than the hummingbirds?
- Candace Oathout on Why Hetch Hetchy is staying under water
- Michele Hanson on On the road with a transient immigrant rights lawyer
- Mark Rozman on Why Hetch Hetchy is staying under water
- Mark Rozman on On the road with a transient immigrant rights lawyer