Name: Hersh Saunders
Nickname The Cowboy Rabbi
Occupation/Vocation Prosthodontist/Rabbi and shochet, or kosher slaughterer.
Unofficial Duties Chief guardian and mixer of the compost heap.
He says "Every community (used to have) a rabbi. And either the rabbi was a shochet, or there was someone who had learned with the rabbi and was appointed the shochet, and you trusted that person. ... It brings (meat production) into a much lower volume and makes it local -- you know me, and that's how it used to be."
- William Mullane on How right-wing emigrants conquered North Idaho
- Ricardo Small on In Arizona, the people move ahead of the politicians
- Dean Nyffeler on New data released on violent threats to federal employees
- John Crosse on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- John Worlock on The U.S.’s only rare-earth mine files for bankruptcy