Name: Hersh Saunders
Nickname The Cowboy Rabbi
Occupation/Vocation Prosthodontist/Rabbi and shochet, or kosher slaughterer.
Unofficial Duties Chief guardian and mixer of the compost heap.
He says "Every community (used to have) a rabbi. And either the rabbi was a shochet, or there was someone who had learned with the rabbi and was appointed the shochet, and you trusted that person. ... It brings (meat production) into a much lower volume and makes it local -- you know me, and that's how it used to be."
- Ed Morrow on After years of drought and overuse, the San Luis Valley aquifer refills
- Jake Sigg on Mapping the large-scale loss of natural areas in the West
- L Strader on Trial by fire
- ivonne cassaigne on The tenuous fate of the Southwest’s last jaguars
- william glasgow on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans