Name H. Lee Barnes
Hometown Las Vegas, Nevada
Vocation English professor at the College of Southern Nevada
Résumé In addition to his other careers, Barnes has been a construction laborer, a martial arts instructor and the coach for a champion tennis team.
Favorite casino game Roulette. "You have to use your brain when dealing it; there's a lot of finesse. The absolute randomness in every spin makes it a very existential game."
He says "I disagree with James Joyce. ... In real life we don't experience epiphanies, great life-turning moments. ... Rather, we accumulate experiences that move us in a direction; later, through reflection, we embrace a more mature view of the events that shape us and gain a better acceptance of life."
- Adam Hannuksela on Tracking grazing’s impacts on bugs
- Carol Bartlett on Idaho and BLM flout conservation laws for fallen officers
- John W Stephens on Animas River spill: only the latest in 150 years of pollution
- Mark Bailey on Why is bad science protecting the Lower Snake River dams?
- Carol Bartlett on Could fugitive methane help out remote communities?