September 19, 2011
Reclamation, removal, and recovery
Mary Clearman Blew struck out on her own, leaving rural Montana and a life as a housewife to become a professor and writer.
Nevada writer H. Lee Barnes brings his experiences as a soldier, cop and casino dealer to his gritty short stories and nonfiction.
In Percival Everett's mystery trilogy, New Mexico Deputy Ogden Walker chases murderers and wrestles with his own complex identity.
Richard S. Wheeler's historical novel dramatizes the rivalry between the "Copper Kings" in 19th century Butte, Mont.
The short stories in Melinda Moustakis' book plunge the reader into the challenging world of contemporary Alaskans.
- Matt Chew on Invasive crayfish in Oregon devastate native newts
- Jeffronimo Kingpin on Is Yucca Mountain back on the table?
- Verne House on Gold King Mine water was headed for the Animas, anyway
- Irene Schmidt on A tense confrontation on a quiet Montana road
- Russ McCollum on What we've lost in the Methow Valley wildfires