September 5, 2011
The dedicated volunteers of the Hummingbird Monitoring Network serve as citizen scientists, gathering field data on the birds they love.
In New Mexico's San Juan County, a new ordinance contrasts upper class aesthetics against a rural lifestyle.
Four Western cities receive grants to improve habitat for the millions of migratory birds that pass through urban areas every year.
The Mountain Maidu Indians and the state Department of Fish and Game are both seeking control of California's Humbug Valley.
The Conservation Reserve Program, which pays farmers to idle highly erodible cropland, is facing budget cuts and other challenges.
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town