September 5, 2011
The dedicated volunteers of the Hummingbird Monitoring Network serve as citizen scientists, gathering field data on the birds they love.
In New Mexico's San Juan County, a new ordinance contrasts upper class aesthetics against a rural lifestyle.
Four Western cities receive grants to improve habitat for the millions of migratory birds that pass through urban areas every year.
The Mountain Maidu Indians and the state Department of Fish and Game are both seeking control of California's Humbug Valley.
The Conservation Reserve Program, which pays farmers to idle highly erodible cropland, is facing budget cuts and other challenges.
- Carl Reese on Five Western waterways worse than the orange Animas
- Steve Snyder on The Endangered Species Act's biggest experiment
- Ray Ring on Montana farmers start talking climate change
- Wayne L Hare on Dispatch from a medic on the North Star Fire in Washington
- Tom McCall on Scientists strengthen link between climate change and drought