One of the West's most car-happy places sprawls across some of its oldest and most productive oilfields. About 28 million barrels are pumped annually from 5,000 wells in the Los Angeles Basin and just offshore, according to the Center for Land Use Interpretation. These photos were drawn from the organization's recent L.A. exhibit, "Urban Crude."
- Salette Andrews on Vegan food may not be as “vegan” as you think
- Keith Barefoot on An argument against internet access in parks
- Kate Schimel on A couple living off-the-grid fought water law — and won
- Verne House on A couple living off-the-grid fought water law — and won
- Neill Smith on New allegations of sexual harassment in Yosemite, Yellowstone