One of the West's most car-happy places sprawls across some of its oldest and most productive oilfields. About 28 million barrels are pumped annually from 5,000 wells in the Los Angeles Basin and just offshore, according to the Center for Land Use Interpretation. These photos were drawn from the organization's recent L.A. exhibit, "Urban Crude."
- Barbara Ullian on How to love a weird and perfect wilderness
- John Wahoff on It’s not the Wild West anymore. Look before you shoot.
- Tom Kinnane on Missing science, disagreement surrounds fracking report
- Gerald Burton on Back to civics class: 10 things to know about Standing Rock
- Steve Snyder on Missing science, disagreement surrounds fracking report