One of the West's most car-happy places sprawls across some of its oldest and most productive oilfields. About 28 million barrels are pumped annually from 5,000 wells in the Los Angeles Basin and just offshore, according to the Center for Land Use Interpretation. These photos were drawn from the organization's recent L.A. exhibit, "Urban Crude."
- Mike Sennett on Looking back on a century of poisoning predators
- David DuBois on What will become of the backcountry in Utah’s Wasatch?
- Dennis Jones on Colorado, other Western states support Syrian refugee program
- Peter Sandrock on Reflecting on the tragedy of the young 'invincibles'
- Roy Frybarger on Colorado, other Western states support Syrian refugee program