One of the West's most car-happy places sprawls across some of its oldest and most productive oilfields. About 28 million barrels are pumped annually from 5,000 wells in the Los Angeles Basin and just offshore, according to the Center for Land Use Interpretation. These photos were drawn from the organization's recent L.A. exhibit, "Urban Crude."
- David W Hamilton on What we’re reading about the Bundy trial in Oregon
- Clay Dusel on New measures could reduce Glen Canyon Dam’s impact on the Grand Canyon — a bit
- David W Hamilton on ‘These big dreams to have everyone prosper’
- Dale Lockwood on Trump met with a leader of the land transfer movement
- Jim Bolen on A tax on carbon pollution faces surprising opposition