If you're a rancher, environmentalist, or just plain interested in how better range makes for healthier cows and land, then come to Delta, Colo., for a Sept. 11 conference sponsored by the Delta/Montrose Public Lands Partnership. Program speakers include well-known ranchers such as Doc and Connie Hatfield of Brothers, Ore., Bob Budd of Lander, Wyo., and Sid Goodloe of Capitan, N.M. After presentations on topics such as land stewardship and managing for biodiversity and profit, participants will talk with the speakers in a roundtable discussion. The registration fee is $30 before Sept. 6, $40 thereafter. For more information on the conference, Improving Rangeland Production, contact Gip Gafford at 970/874-7671 or 970/874-8772, or write Grazing Conference, Delta/Montrose Area Voc-Tech Center, 1765 U.S. Hwy 50, Delta, CO 81416.
- Mary Sojourner on Rants from the Hill: Desert Insomnia
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on Why are Hopi rangers impounding sheep at Black Mesa?
- Emma Drew on What’s in the water in Woods Cross?
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on On Black Mesa, the natives make a comeback