August 11, 2008
Steve and Marc Jenson have ambitious plans to turn a failed ski resort near Beaver, Utah, into a private enclave for the ultra-rich, but not everyone is thrilled about the idea.
Precedent-setting conservation easement lawsuit in Wyoming; wet spring gives way to burning-hot summer; EPA approves air-quality permit for Desert Rock power plant; Smokey Bear vs. ORVs; smoky bear vs. firefighter.
- Steve Snyder on Making a monument from scratch
- Deb Dedon on Rains bring incomplete drought relief to parts of Southwest
- Deb Dedon on American Indian students in Utah face harsh discipline
- Bette Korber on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- Garrett Allen on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking