More on water: Colorado water experts will discuss how to balance competing interests for Western water at The Endangered West: 20th Annual Colorado Water Workshop held August 2-4 in Gunnison, Colo. Registration is $210. For more information, contact Lucy High or Jill Corbett, Colorado Water Workshop, Western State College, Gunnison, Colo. 81231 (970/943-7156).
The Waterton Writers Workshop in Waterton Lakes National Park, Alberta, Canada, Sept. 14-16, won't tackle water issues but will offer immersion in writing workshops, networking opportunities and story ideas for nature, outdoor, travel and environment writers. For more information contact Viewpoints Communications, Box 127, Hill Spring, Alberta, Canada T0K 1E0 (403/626-3658 or 403/859-5125).
To raise awareness about endangered species, ORLO, a Portland, Ore., group of artists for the environment, will exhibit a statewide art show from Aug. 3-13 featuring more than 1,000 original works. For more information about the show, "Wild Oregonians," or to get involved, contact ORLO at P.O. Box 10342, Portland, OR 97210 (503/243-2330).
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- David Taft on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- Lee Rimel on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- Fred Swanson on Is tech ruining the wilderness?