Finally, while editor Jonathan Thompson's introductory remarks were, in most respects, well-considered, calling it "self-murder"made me wince. When one of my friends died, a misguided minister came to visit and asked if he could say a prayer. He prayed for me, my family, her family and friends. And then he said, "Amen."
I asked, "What about the woman we just buried?"He replied, "I can't pray for her - she made her own choice." Suggesting that suicide is a sin is hardly comforting.
- Barbara Ullian on How to love a weird and perfect wilderness
- John Wahoff on It’s not the Wild West anymore. Look before you shoot.
- Tom Kinnane on Missing science, disagreement surrounds fracking report
- Gerald Burton on Back to civics class: 10 things to know about Standing Rock
- Steve Snyder on Missing science, disagreement surrounds fracking report