Fictional and real-life families are the focus of this year's Fishtrap gathering of writers in northeastern Oregon, July 3-9. Orphaned in Eden: The Search for Family in the West features workshops and discussion groups with literary agent Lizzie Grossman, novelist Craig Lesley and poet Naomi Shihab Nye, among others. Workshops will examine fictional families and real-life family photographs as inspiration for non-fiction writing. Participants will also explore adding humor to their fiction writing, and turning journal writing and travel memoirs into publishable work. The annual gathering is supported by grants from the Oregon Arts Commission, the Oregon Council for the Humanities and the Idaho Commission on the Arts. The registration fee is $165 plus an additional fee for each workshop. For more information, contact Fishtrap at P.O. Box 38, Enterprise, OR 97828 (503/426-3623).
- Patrick Alexander on Federal-lands ranching: A half-century of decline
- Michael Bryant on Go ahead, control my guns
- Blair French on Right-wing militant charged for planting a bomb at BLM building
- Howard & Heidi Snell on Right-wing militant charged for planting a bomb at BLM building
- Anthony Malone on Right-wing militant charged for planting a bomb at BLM building