April 14, 2008
After conquering rocks, trails and mountains, weekend warriors have found a new hobby: Climbing the West’s big trees.
Washington’s cougar population is in serious trouble, and some trace recent problems back to a 1996 ban on hunting the big cats with hounds.
Rick Bass’ memoir, Why I Came West, describes how his 20-year struggle to save Montana’s Yaak Valley held him hostage, preventing him from concentrating on writing the short fiction that he loves.
- Pat Munday on The Greatest Generation at its worst
- Charles Fox on Looking back on a century of poisoning predators
- Mike Sennett on Looking back on a century of poisoning predators
- David DuBois on What will become of the backcountry in Utah’s Wasatch?
- Dennis Jones on Colorado, other Western states support Syrian refugee program