I believe the most important challenge in the West is water management, not energy development. Another important issue is the heavy hand of Congress and government on the West, and how we remove it. Other issues at least as important as energy are roadless areas; wilderness; Endangered Species Act revision; public-land access and management philosophy (stand-and-stare vs. active management); private property rights vs. preservation of open space; wolf and grizzly bear delisting; and what should be done to protect the integrity of Western values.
Unfortunately, Super Tuesday will come and go before another issue of HCN, and we will have to vote based on our own limited knowledge of where the candidates stand on the issues.
St. Anthony, Idaho
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town