In Houston, we have tropical catfish in most of our bayous. In the Everglades, they are trying to keep pythons from breeding and spreading. And in many places the grass carp, or white amur, has become even more of a problem than the European carp.
We are still making many mistakes. The pet and nursery trade is allowed to bring in many plants and animals that should remain in their natural habitat across the ocean. Many are turned loose on purpose or escape and cause problems.
It makes you wonder, "When will we ever learn?"
- Jim Scarborough on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- on Feds opt not to list Mono Basin sage grouse
- Chase Gunnell on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- Arnold Weissberg on Ranch Diaries: Building community in the middle of nowhere
- Steve Snyder on Only 40 years ago, the Earth got its day