In Houston, we have tropical catfish in most of our bayous. In the Everglades, they are trying to keep pythons from breeding and spreading. And in many places the grass carp, or white amur, has become even more of a problem than the European carp.
We are still making many mistakes. The pet and nursery trade is allowed to bring in many plants and animals that should remain in their natural habitat across the ocean. Many are turned loose on purpose or escape and cause problems.
It makes you wonder, "When will we ever learn?"
- Andrew Sipocz on The great salmon compromise
- Kyle Klain on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mary Sojourner on Rants from the Hill: Desert Insomnia
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on Why are Hopi rangers impounding sheep at Black Mesa?