What we need is more quality pieces like "The Owl and I" in your Aug. 6 issue. Like its author, Melissa Hart, I am a freelance writer and journalism professor. As such, I recognize and appreciate quality writing.
Heart-warming, well-written articles like Professor Hart's provide a bit of balance and some hope in a sometimes-grim world. The more pieces of that nature that you find room to publish, the better High Country News will become.
- on Jim Deacon, pioneering desert fish biologist, dies
- Larry Bullock on Ranch Diaries: A New Mexico cattle company is born
- Randy Piper on Bark beetle kill leads to more severe fires, right? Well, maybe
- Delaine Spilsbury on The water czar who reshaped Colorado River politics
- Buck Drew on Chainsaw diplomacy