What we need is more quality pieces like "The Owl and I" in your Aug. 6 issue. Like its author, Melissa Hart, I am a freelance writer and journalism professor. As such, I recognize and appreciate quality writing.
Heart-warming, well-written articles like Professor Hart's provide a bit of balance and some hope in a sometimes-grim world. The more pieces of that nature that you find room to publish, the better High Country News will become.
- Latest: California fracking companies inject protected aquifers with wastewater
- American Indian students in Utah face harsh discipline
- The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Obama's preemptive strike to reform Endangered Species Act
- Wyoming trespass law is the latest in grazing battle
- Bette Korber on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- Garrett Allen on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Robb Cadwell on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Amy & Chris Gulick on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Richard H Ernst on The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands