I’m no honeybee biologist, but I was trained as an entomologist. “Tracheae” are the abdominal tubes that insects use to breathe. So it’s more likely that the mites colonize the tracheae, interfere with the insects’ ability to breathe, and thereby shorten their lifespans.
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
Editor’s Note: We regret the error.
- Frances Hohl on How Outward Bound lost, and found, itself
- Dale Lockwood on Right-wing militant charged for planting a bomb at BLM building
- Karl Anderson on Evicted by climate change
- Joe Cosentino on Arizona Rep. Grijalva targets extremism on public lands
- Karl Anderson on Arizona Rep. Grijalva targets extremism on public lands