December 11, 2006
Former Park Service supervisors Bill Wade and Ron Arnberger formed the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees to defend the national parks from what they see as the Bush administration’s ill-conceived changes. Also in this issue: Six decades after Friant Dam killed off the San Joaquin River’s spring-run chinook, the Natural Resources Defense Council and the Friant Water Users Authority are working with the federal government to restore both the fish and the river.
- Rich Schrader on How the West will feel groundwater shortages
- Rich Schrader on Freeway closure by flash flood should teach us a lesson
- vince bandola on The Forest Service battles placer mining with an obscure law
- Deb Dedon on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution