When we drafted a 560-word letter responding to the article, HCN told us that due to "limited space for letters" the editors could not print the letter as written. It would take a letter at least as long as Friederici’s article to fully respond to all of his misconceptions. We therefore suggest that readers who are interested in a more informed perspective take a look at the November 2006 issue of La Jicarita News (www.lajicarita.org).
For the record, however, we can’t let several of Bryan Bird’s comments go unchallenged. Environmentalists Sam Hitt and John Talberth’s wives were never hung in effigy, even though Charlotte Talberth was also a Forest Guardian activist involved in the timber sale appeals and lawsuits. Furthermore, his comments that loggers cut down several big pines "just to spite us" and that "everybody has taken a deep breath and stood down" are self-serving and unsubstantiated.
Mark Schiller and Kay Matthews
Co-editors, La Jicarita News
Chamisal, New Mexico
- Guy Durrant on Giving thanks and looking forward
- Sarah Gilman on Closure of federal sheep facility would be a victory for grizzlies
- Gretchen King on Sage grouse found walking through Wyoming underpass
- Robb Cadwell on We can do our part to defuse the West
- Robb Cadwell on Wyoming grapples with how to fund wildlife conservation