When we drafted a 560-word letter responding to the article, HCN told us that due to "limited space for letters" the editors could not print the letter as written. It would take a letter at least as long as Friederici’s article to fully respond to all of his misconceptions. We therefore suggest that readers who are interested in a more informed perspective take a look at the November 2006 issue of La Jicarita News (www.lajicarita.org).
For the record, however, we can’t let several of Bryan Bird’s comments go unchallenged. Environmentalists Sam Hitt and John Talberth’s wives were never hung in effigy, even though Charlotte Talberth was also a Forest Guardian activist involved in the timber sale appeals and lawsuits. Furthermore, his comments that loggers cut down several big pines "just to spite us" and that "everybody has taken a deep breath and stood down" are self-serving and unsubstantiated.
Mark Schiller and Kay Matthews
Co-editors, La Jicarita News
Chamisal, New Mexico
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town