October 16, 2006
In Oregon, a revolutionary community alliance is working to put water – and steelhead trout – back into the Deschutes River. Also in this issue: A federal judge has reinstated President Clinton’s roadless rule protecting forests in the Lower 48 states, but the decision seems to have only confused the issue of forest management and is likely to end up back in court.
- Greg Graves on Can human judgment handle avalanches?
- John W Stephens on Ranch Diaries: How to coexist with wild animals
- Ryan Stevenson on Can human judgment handle avalanches?
- Bryan Daneman on Scarcity and survival reign in ‘The Water Knife’
- Krista Langlois on Idaho mining dispute raises questions about the future of wilderness