September 18, 2006
Mountain bikers are finally winning respect, along with increased access to trails, but a growing breed of gonzo riders with heavy, fast, high-tech bikes — and a thirst for riding in wilderness — could threaten all that. Also in this issue: National pundits say the nation’s political parties are moving toward the extremes, but in the West, Republicans — unhappy with some far-right politicians — seem to be heading back to the middle.
- Steve Bonowski on Arizona Rep. Grijalva targets extremism on public lands
- Deanna Wulff on Climate change looms large over Obama’s Yosemite visit
- Melissa McDowell on When water turns to dust
- Thomas Arvensis on Go ahead, control my guns
- Vanessa Chacon on Invasive crayfish in Oregon devastate native newts