September 18, 2006
Mountain bikers are finally winning respect, along with increased access to trails, but a growing breed of gonzo riders with heavy, fast, high-tech bikes — and a thirst for riding in wilderness — could threaten all that. Also in this issue: National pundits say the nation’s political parties are moving toward the extremes, but in the West, Republicans — unhappy with some far-right politicians — seem to be heading back to the middle.
- Rusty Austin on Could the ouster of California environmental agency leaders imperil clean air and beach access?
- George McCloskey on One Way to Save the Wolf? Hunt It.
- Kent Matowitz on Investigations show extensive harassment history in Park Service
- Steve Snyder on In Utah, the fight for a Bears Ears monument heats up
- Melissa McDowell on Real predators don’t eat popsicles