Everyone who lives in the West is a transplant or has felt the impact of migration; few places have not experienced the region's booms and busts. What makes urbanites pull up stakes, and how is the latest influx affecting Western land and communities? Academics such as geography professor Bill Riebsame and writers such as poet Gary Holthaus and HCN's Ed Marston explore these questions in a new 50-minute video from Colorado State University called Subdividing the West: Implications of Growth. A $10 copy of the video is available from Instructional Services, Colorado State University, A71 Clark Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523.
- Josh Zaffos on A tax on carbon pollution faces surprising opposition
- Dale Lockwood on Reckoning at Standing Rock
- David W Hamilton on What we’re reading about the Bundy trial in Oregon
- Clay Dusel on New measures could reduce Glen Canyon Dam’s impact on the Grand Canyon — a bit
- David W Hamilton on ‘These big dreams to have everyone prosper’