Everyone who lives in the West is a transplant or has felt the impact of migration; few places have not experienced the region's booms and busts. What makes urbanites pull up stakes, and how is the latest influx affecting Western land and communities? Academics such as geography professor Bill Riebsame and writers such as poet Gary Holthaus and HCN's Ed Marston explore these questions in a new 50-minute video from Colorado State University called Subdividing the West: Implications of Growth. A $10 copy of the video is available from Instructional Services, Colorado State University, A71 Clark Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523.
- Phaedra Greenwood on Can Aldo Leopold’s land ethic tackle our toughest problems?
- Mary Doherty on Utah burn ban ignites outrage over ‘basic freedoms’
- Dale Lockwood on Utah burn ban ignites outrage over ‘basic freedoms’
- Joe F Whelan on Charles Bowden’s Fury
- Bill Schiffbauer on Utah burn ban ignites outrage over ‘basic freedoms’