Everyone who lives in the West is a transplant or has felt the impact of migration; few places have not experienced the region's booms and busts. What makes urbanites pull up stakes, and how is the latest influx affecting Western land and communities? Academics such as geography professor Bill Riebsame and writers such as poet Gary Holthaus and HCN's Ed Marston explore these questions in a new 50-minute video from Colorado State University called Subdividing the West: Implications of Growth. A $10 copy of the video is available from Instructional Services, Colorado State University, A71 Clark Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523.
- Ricardo Small on In Arizona, the people move ahead of the politicians
- Dean Nyffeler on New data released on violent threats to federal employees
- John Crosse on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- John Worlock on The U.S.’s only rare-earth mine files for bankruptcy
- Andy Grosland on The pain thief of Spokane