July 24, 2006
The Western states are home to a stealth campaign by libertarians who – under the guise of reforming eminent domain – are out to destroy all land-use planning through "takings" ballot initiatives. Also in this issue: Even as Western states debate the best way to look after their roadless areas, logging, drilling and mining are already happening on some formerly protected lands.
- George Winters on What Mt. Hood’s fading summer ski season means
- John F Mijer on Congress lets sun set on Land and Water Conservation Fund
- Gary Beverly on Does optimism have a place in Western water politics?
- John Worlock on Endurance runners in the Grand Canyon are missing the point
- Todd Vogel/Iversen on Endurance runners in the Grand Canyon are missing the point