May 29, 2006
In his determination to cling, however hopelessly, to Utah’s past, Canyon Country Zephyr founder Jim Stiles has taken on miners, ranchers, developers, mountain bikers and – most recently – some of his fellow environmentalists. Also in this issue: "Divine Strake" — a proposed weapons detonation at the Nevada Test Site — has stirred up fears of radioactive contamination and the possibility of a new nuclear arms race.
- William Mullane on How right-wing emigrants conquered North Idaho
- Ricardo Small on In Arizona, the people move ahead of the politicians
- Dean Nyffeler on New data released on violent threats to federal employees
- John Crosse on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- John Worlock on The U.S.’s only rare-earth mine files for bankruptcy