Does anything good come out of rapid growth? The trend toward urbanization of the rural West is the theme of "Community Values, Change, Growth and Quality of Life," a May 10 symposium in western Colorado's Glenwood Springs. Speakers include Daniel Kemmis, mayor of Missoula, Raye Ringholz, author of Little Town Blues - Voices from the Changing West, and Ed and Betsy Marston, publisher and editor of High Country News. For more information contact the Community Trust Institute, 1101 8th Street, Glenwood Springs, CO 81601 (970/945-5912).
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town