Does anything good come out of rapid growth? The trend toward urbanization of the rural West is the theme of "Community Values, Change, Growth and Quality of Life," a May 10 symposium in western Colorado's Glenwood Springs. Speakers include Daniel Kemmis, mayor of Missoula, Raye Ringholz, author of Little Town Blues - Voices from the Changing West, and Ed and Betsy Marston, publisher and editor of High Country News. For more information contact the Community Trust Institute, 1101 8th Street, Glenwood Springs, CO 81601 (970/945-5912).
- Andrew Sipocz on The great salmon compromise
- Kyle Klain on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mary Sojourner on Rants from the Hill: Desert Insomnia
- Mary Sojourner on Solace at the end of Homer Spit
- Jennafer Waggoner-Yellowhorse on Why are Hopi rangers impounding sheep at Black Mesa?