April 3, 1995
The Great Basin has often been seen as a wasteland, but now new visions are defining the region.
Three tribes, the Pyramid Lake Paiutes, the Fort Mojave Tribe and the Skull Valley Goshutes, follow different paths toward sovereignty and economic development.
The Grand Canyon's new general management plan proposes development to accommodate more and more tourists.
U.S. Army decides not to launch missiles from Green River, Utah, and shoot them down over New Mexico's White Sands Missile Range.
Scientists worry that a planned underground nuclear waste dump at Yucca Mountain might someday explode.
A reintroduced wolf shot by Idaho rancher Gene Hussey did not kill the dead calf it was found with, veterinary pathologists find.
Agents of the Forest Service's Timber Theft Task Force complain they are prevented from doing their job.
A controversial "Eco-Challenge" race through Utah's canyon country is approved by the BLM despite much opposition from environmentalists.
"Paradigms in Transition: Natural Resources Management in the New Century" is a public forum in Fort Collins, Colo.
A symposium called "Community Values, Change, Growth and Quality of Life" is planned for Glenwood Springs, Colo.
Nevada's Great Basin National Park was founded on an uneasy compromise between grazing and preservation.
Photographer Peter Goin wants to create disturbing images of Reno and the Truckee River so that viewers will be moved to change things.
- After attack, the country’s oldest park ranger is back at work
- Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence
- Emotions run high over monument designation in Utah
- BLM moves away from landmark Northwest Forest Plan
- How Utah coal interests helped push a secret plan to export coal from California
- Doug Johnson on In this season of potential megaburns, nix the campfire
- The Taylors on Latest: The BLM to study surgical sterilization of wild horses
- Marcia Ewell on New measures could reduce Glen Canyon Dam’s impact on the Grand Canyon — a bit
- Charles Fox on Federal coal leasing needs a major overhaul
- Carl Reese on Study finds surprising source of Colorado River water supply